LGBTQ+ Resolution (2020)
Women’s League for Conservative Judaism
LGBTQ+ Updated Version Part One Resolution LGBTQ+ Background Part Two Resolution
LGBTQ+ Background Part Two Resolution
“If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I?”
(Pirkei Avot, 1:14)
As members of a global community, we all deserve fundamental, inalienable
rights. Only when we achieve these can we create a truly “civilized” society, living
in harmony and benefiting from the gift of diversity.
1. Each individual “is created b’tzelem Elohim, in G-d’s Divine Image,” and since lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, (LGBTQ+) and non-binary Jews ”2are an integral part of our families, our synagogues and our communities,”
2. The LGBTQ+ and non-binary community has endured constant threats of physical violence, rejection and painful alienation,
3. Discrimination of LGBTQ+ and non-binary individuals’ civil rights continues to occur in legislative forums
1. The Rabbinical Assembly, (n.d.)accessed February 24, 2020, (Line 1) https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/story/resolution-solidarity-international-lgbt-community?tp=1354
2. The Rabbinical Assembly, (n.d.) accessed February 24, 2020, (Resolution: Whereas, Line 1) https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/index.php/tzedek-justice/resolutions/resolutions-2011
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that Women’s League for Conservative Judaism:
- Includes, welcomes and accepts to our Sisterhoods any Jewish individual who identifies as a woman.
- Calls on Sisterhoods to increase awareness, understanding and concern for our fellow Jews who are LGBTQ+ and non-binary, by educating our
members. (See Background section, p.2)
- “Deplores violence,” and works toward promoting a safe and secure environment for all.
- Supports “full and equal civil rights” for LGBTQ+ and non-binary individuals.
- Advocates against legislation, at all levels of government, that discriminates. Proactively works at all levels to support legislation that positively addresses equal rights of LGBTQ+ and non-binary individuals. (See Background section, p.3)
- The Rabbinical Assembly, (n.d.)accessed February 24, 2020, (This is really a paraphrase: The first “Therefore, ”full welcome, acceptance and inclusion.”), https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/index.php/tzedek-justice/resolutions/resolutions-2016
- The Rabbinical Assembly, (n.d.)accessed February 24, 2020, (Preamble, #2, changed “deplore” to “deplores”), https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/index.php/tzedek-justice/resolutions/resolutions-2011
- The Rabbinical Assembly, (n.d.) accessed February 24, 2020, (Preamble, #1), https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/index.php/tzedek-justice/resolutions/resolutions-2011