The issue of domestic violence is a matter of increasing concern to the Jewish community. Calls for help are coming from Jewish women, dispelling the myth the assumption that Jewish men do not beat their wives.
Women’s League for Conservative Judaism urges its Sisterhoods to:
- Develop education programs and publicity to raise the community consciousness and to inform its members of this serious domestic problem;
- Alert Rabbis, educators and others working in the Jewish community to the importance of placing action and support programs high on the agenda of their concerns;
- Support local safe shelters, particularly those providing a Jewish environment;
- Create and cooperate with existing social and religious support systems for abused women and their families;
- Support legislation protecting abused wives; monitor police enforcement of such laws.